This CMP Nurse Leadership Training Project proposes to offer leadership training for registered nurses who are in leadership positions in California LTC Nursing Facilities and follow up with personal mentoring for successful graduates. This project will concentrate on the development of nurse leaders, and focus on leadership abilities that affect engagement and retention of direct care staff.
Two Nurse Leadership Training sessions (that last 6 months) will be taught each year for 3 years (2019/2020, 2020/2021, 2021/2022) taught by Jill Thomas, RN of Clinical Compliance Concepts and Ruth Parnell NHA, of RAP Resources, Inc. The project advisor will be Peg Tobin, RN of Tobin & Associates, Inc.
a) Visit to participating facility
b) Nurse Leadership Training – 8-day training program in person
c) video webinars
e) this program is spread out over 6 months
Assignment of a personal mentor to each participant – 2 months – mentor will be available for guidance regarding leadership issues, including communication, accountability and delegation – mentors assigned and supervised.
- Limited to 12 facilities per session (to facilitate interaction with each participant)
- Limited to 4 facilities per organization
- Facility participation is not limited to members of any State Health Care Association
- Facility is experiencing a turnover rate of greater than 25% in nursing staff
- Applicants must be a registered nurse (RN) with at least 2 years of experience in a long term care. The RN will be interviewed and explained to him/her the purpose of the program and will sign an agreement of understanding and commitment to the training program.